The fall colors were wonderful while Mom was here. She and Stella played a lot outside with a backdrop of beautiful leaves:

She and Albert climbed up into the playset and looked around:

Thank you so much Mom! Thank you for the kids' shoes and my salon visit and pedicure. Thanks for giving us a break and being so great with the kids. I'm glad you are home safe!
True Boy
AJ gave me the scare of my life yesterday.
I took him to daycare after I dropped Mom off at the train station.
When we got in the van, I was sure he had a pacifier in his mouth, but when we arrived at daycare, he didn't have it anymore.
So I unstrapped him and lifted him up to look underneath him. It wasn't there. I set him back down in his car seat (unbuckled) and peered around the floor to see if he'd dropped it. Big mistake.
I saw something in the corner of my eye, and it happened to be Albert trying to fly out of his car seat. He hit the pavement.
I should've known he could do that, but I'd never seen him try anything like that. I should know not to underestimate this mighty boy:

Would you believe there wasn't a scratch on him? Luckily his hood was on, like in the picture, and that protected his skin. And later that day, you couldn't even tell such a tragedy had happened. Of course, I don't think I stopped shaking for hours.
I have a feeling that there's no underestimating him. He'll probably get hurt more than this once because I could've never imagined he'd be capable of (or willing to do) such things.

Cherry Pie
Does anyone have an authentic Michigan Cherry Pie recipe? I saw a recipe once on the back of a Michigan postcard, which used cherry juice concentrate. John says a cherry pie is my next adventure in pie-making. I'm up for it. Do you have to put food coloring in a cherry pie? I'm not a fan of Red #40. I found this recipe; does it look like a good one? (Scroll down a little for Mom's Cherry Pie).
3 comments:
Karmel,
Since fresh tart cherries can't be found very often, I use canned cherries packed in water and add tapioca, almond flavoring and lots of sugar. It tastes like my mom's when I was a kid. I just use the proportions on the tapioca box.
Aunt Mary Ann
Aunt Mary Ann, do frozen tart pitted cherries work? Sometimes I see bags of tart cherries from Friske's (the orchard up by Charlevoix) and I've wanted to try them because we used to stop at the Friske's Market all the time ... sniff ... I miss living up north!
Karmel,
I've never used frozen cherries, but I bet they would work just fine. Let me know if you try them. Another option is always good. Enjoy your pie- cherry pie reminds me of vacationa up north with the family.
Aunt Mary Ann
Post a Comment