Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween . . . not so bad this year

For the past few years, I have felt like an outsider when it comes to holidays, big events, and other things that are significant as you watch your child enjoy her childhood. Halloween last year was one of the hardest. I didn't even attempt to do anything ... there's nothing harder than having great expectations and watching a situation deteriorate, as we've seen happen so many times.

Today we had a good Halloween. One big reason for this is because it was an awesome day here in Michigan, warm and sunny. Honestly, when it comes to fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, I think Michigan is hard to beat ... the traditions surrounding these holidays are well-respected.

And it doesn't hurt that autumn is beautiful here ... on a warm sunny day, the sun hits the fall color and there's this warm golden light, especially at sunset.

Here are the kids playing before trick-or-treating:
Photobucket

(My mantra is to rake one bag of leaves each day ... the leaves are going to overwhelm me soon).

John took a cool picture of Stella by herself, too.
Photobucket

A.J. is really fun this year. He had all of the excitement for the festivities of Halloween, but very little understanding. He and I went to John's office and went trick-or-treating there early this morning. Everytime someone would give him candy, he would pull a different piece of candy from his pumpkin, thinking it was supposed to be a trade? But then he got greedy, and tried to eat every piece of candy as soon as it was given to him.

Here he is before we left:
Photobucket

The crazy thing is that A.J. was supposed to be a dog for Halloween. I bought him the costume at Meijer and immediately put it in the closet. I didn't try it on him until this morning. It didn't even almost fit, even though the tag said it should fit a child his weight. Ugh. So I dug up Stella's lion costume from a few years ago and rolled up the sleeves and pantlegs. He wore it well.

I put Stella's same costume on her that I did last year, and it wasn't that good. I can do better. I don't know if she cares, but it was too baggy on her. I feel guilty because we didn't make it to her classroom Halloween party. I was daunted by the possibility of having to chase both of them amid the chaos of a class party. I feel bad about it. I hope next year A.J. isn't as ornery and can be trusted a little more ...

She enjoyed getting all the candy:
Photobucket

I just took the kids around the neighborhood in the wagon. I used it as a chance to meet some of the people who live on our street. Most of the trick-or-treaters are not from this neighborhood, and they number in the 300s, supposedly. There were kids darting here there and everywhere, and a lot of beat-up cars with exhaust issues (cough cough). And there was one kid in a very scary grim reaper costume. A dark hood and robe, and only red eyes visible ... shiver.

Anyway, I enjoyed getting to meet more of our neighbors. John handed out candy, and we ran out, which is probably a good thing.

I'm hoping for a good Thanksgiving and Christmas. Happy Halloween!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karmel, The pictures and the text as usual is great. I almost feel like I was there to see the kids. (almost) You guys get hordes of kids and we get none. For the last few holoweens we go to Jill's and hand out candy while they go out trick or treating and we did that last night. Lauren was at her Dad's but Jill and Bill took Clara out to a few houses. I love A.j's and Stella's costumes. I miss those kids. That picture of Stella says a lot. We are going to a mass at church today for all of the people who died in the past year and had funerals at our church. After that Joanne and Slim are having a big gang at their house to celebrate Joan's birthday. Love to you guys and I hope to see you soon. Joe Dad

Anonymous said...

Karmel, great pictures! Your kids sure are cute.

MB said...

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy Halloween this year! I always think of Stella on Halloween since it was the day that she was baptized. Thanks for posting the cute pictures!!