Aunt Norma was also a displaced Kansan. She grew up on the family farm in Montana, Kansas...a town that doesn't even exist anymore, but spent her adult years in the Chicago area with my Uncle David, who was also from Kansas. She was the youngest of 3 ... Arwana, my grandpa Calvin, who died in 1979, and her.
I know the death of my grandparents, her dear brother and sister-in-law, was hard for her, and I'm sure she's celebrating with them again.
There was never anyone more cheerful than Aunt Norma, and she was always eager to hug me and let me jump on her lap. I adored her. My earliest memory of her is that one time she gave me Juicy Fruit gum out of her purse.

My Uncle David is also a wonderful soul. He is struggling with cancer right now. He's a WWII veteran of the South Pacific. He's a sweet person, too, and I wish I could be there with all of them now.
I know the Hamblins are a strong, closeknit family and are taking care of each other. Aunt Norma and Uncle David have had dedicated children and grandchildren around them. But I just wanted to express how much Aunt Norma meant to me. Thinking of her makes me think of those hot Kansas summers in Parsons, trips to the Peter Pan and picking watermelons ... lots of great happy memories with my loving aunt.
Aunt Norma always had a smile in her voice, and I will never forget the sweetness of that sound.
Just a post script...my Uncle David died two days ago. He and Aunt Norma are together. It's very sad, but they would have wanted to be together.
2 comments:
I'm sorry to hear about this, Karmel. Your aunt sounds like she was a wonderful person and very loved.
My grandma *always* had Juicy Fruit in her purse. We each got half a stick anytime we asked. That was always a happy treat!
Karmel, sorry about your aunt. It always tough to lose someone like that. It's almost a year since my Mom's death. This cold weather is really brutal these last few days. Hope you guys are staying warm. Joe Dad
Post a Comment