A couple of weeks ago, she and Lauren came to Battle Creek and stayed the night and helped us finally get Stella's room painted pink.
When we moved in, it had a blue ceiling, and washed-out blue walls, and it just didn't look very warm or inviting in there. John painted the ceiling over the summer, but we were having trouble getting out of our rut and getting the walls done. I had the paint purchased months ago, though.
Well, when Jill came, she knocked it out in no time flat. And after it dried, John finished up the trim in a nice bright white. I think it looks pretty nice now.

After Jill painted the walls, she showed her super aunt powers by cutting Stella's hair. Now, this would have been impossible at a salon because she would've screamed. I think it looks pretty cute cut short!

I wish we would've gotten some pictures when Jill and Lauren were here. Thanks so much, Aunt Jill and Lauren!
Tuesday we go back to Ann Arbor for our last day of testing and I'm glad. It's been a crazy week and I'll be glad to see some of these evaluations done.
6 comments:
Aunt Jill is indeed amazing. Can't say enough about those wonderful aunts. Elizabeth's blessed with a bunch herself.
I LOVE Stella's haircut, too! She looks so much like Jill. And, she's looking so much older. Once she's into her school routine, I'm sure she'll seem even older.
It is hard getting used to having your baby away from home so much. Elizabeth's days aren't nearly as long as Stella's will be, but it was still an adjustment. Elizabeth LOVES it, though. I think she was bored at home; she's very happy to have more excitement in her life.
My heart goes out to you finishing up all those evaluations. I hated all of Elizabeth's and she's had a ton of them. It's torture for me to have to discuss everything she's not yet doing or doing inappropriately. It's hard for me to imagine the kid who could stand up to that level of scrutiny and still be labeled "normal". Makes me wonder sometimes...
Good luck and give that adorable girl a kiss for me!
Wow, Stella does look like Aunt Jill! And what a beautiful room for a beautiful girl to sleep in. Good luck at your last appointment.
Aunt Mary Ann
Would Jill and Lauren be up for a longer road trip, say to Seattle? :) I could use their painting expertise. Instead, I'm having to pay someone to do some long overdue painting at my house.
Stella's room looks great!! And, Stella looks very cute with her new do!
I'm writing this from Michelle and John's. Elizabeth is talking so much! What used to be non-stop recitations of her videos is now replaced by non-stop commentary on everything going on around her. She's so much more aware of the world around her. It's fascinating and exciting to see the changes in her. I helped to put her to bed tonight. She snuggled into me, and fell asleep with her hand on my cheek. It was very, very sweet.
Good luck with at Stella's last evaluation...
That's such good news about Elizabeth's progress. I wonder what it is exactly that they're doing that's making such a difference. I've read a lot of things about how effective therapies are. And then I read some articles that say not to be too optimistic.
Of course, maybe there is a lot of room for optimism when it comes to high functioning autism. I am just so anxious for Stella to go to school. At first, she will face quite an adjustment and have lots of anxiety about being away from me for such a long period of time, everyday. But I am excited to see how she will change once she adjusts.
That's just so wonderful about Elizabeth. It sounds like her programs are really working for her. That must be so nice to hear her voice and her thoughts!
Aunt Jill here! Wow, thanks for all of the wonderful compliments! The room does look great now and it was such fun to come and visit and help out. Lauren even helped out with the cutting in, believe it or not!
Cutting Stella's hair was a challenge which is why it ended up so short, but she sure does look cute!
MB, Lauren and I would surely be up for a longer road trip to seattle, as we have never been - but Bill would kill us if we left him home so someday we will all make the trip and come visit you. Count on it.
Michelle - I can't help but think about what a blessing you are to John and Karmel. Your insight and experience in what they are going through has been such a comfort. Thank you for sharing what you have discovered and what is going on with Elizabeth. Great news to hear she is talking so much.
My niece and my cousins - you are all in my prayers. I pray for God to give you peace and help your little girls to overcome these challenges and learn, learn, learn!
Amen!
Jill and entire Puzzuoli clan (including spouses and kids) - You are all most welcome to visit anytime! I've got space at my house to accomodate visitors - I have a guest bedroom and bath plus couches. Seattle is a great place to vacation, and it's even greater because I am here and the cute Elizabeth is closeby. :) Both Seattle and Portland are spectacularly beautiful cities. Summer, I think, is the best time to visit. But, winter is good too. There is good skiing very close to Seattle and to Portland. And, there is fantastic skiing at Whistler which isn't too far a drive from Seattle.
Jill, if you, Bill and Lauren would like to visit, just tell me when! :)
Post a Comment