What a week! I feel like we've been running all over the place.
First of all, I was so excited to hear today that we have a new niece! Corinn and Chris had their new baby girl today -- 7 lbs, 10 oz. (hope that's right). I can't wait to see a picture and find out her name. I'm sure Livi will love having a sister. Between Corinn's family and the Puzzuoli side, there are quite a few bunches of princesses running around. Little girls are so great.
Well, we got the last day of evaluations done at UofM and I'm glad that's over. Stella was diagnosed as PDD-NOS (pervasive development disorder-not otherwise specified). This is the diagnosis when a child has some characteristics of autism, but not the full criteria. Stella got a lot of compliments during the assessment on her socialbility and good use of words. Everyone who's evaluated her thinks she's got some good things going for her that will make it easier to work with her.
I also had a meeting with the evaluation team with our school district today. Stella starts school on Monday and they have a comprehensive plan and some goals for her already. So I'm very anxious to get that started. Stella will no doubt have serious problems with the transition to a classroom, being away from me, and being in school all day. I just hope the adjustment period isn't too painful. She'll start riding the bus on Wednesday. I've got shopping to do this weekend .... clothes, a backpack, supplies like extra diapers, shoes... it's weird sending a 2½ year old to school like she's in first grade, and even paying for school lunch!
We were so sad to hear that John's Aunt Olga Recchia died last Saturday. John was able to go to the funeral and it was very sad, he said. She was a wonderful lady and she fought her illness (non-Hodgkins lymphoma) so hard. She always showed up at all events and made such a strong effort to not give up, even though she felt terrible. I hope her family finds peace and comfort during this hard time.
Well, wish us luck in the next week. I need lots of calming thoughts!
Karmel
Friday, September 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That's exciting news about Livi's sister!! I'll be anxious to see photos. Congratulations!
Elizabeth's diagnosis is PDD-NOS, too. Which basically means that she has some autistic characteristics, but not all of them. I think that's good news that Stella got that diagnosis. From what I can tell, that's the best diagnosis to get on the spectrum.
I hope the transition to school goes ok. Has anyone there talked to you about doing things at home with her? Some of her teachers/aides might be able to suggest some techniques that can help her at home, including getting her ready and on the bus every morning (picture schedules are supposed to work really well).
Good luck with everything and keep us posted on Stella's school days!
P.S. My sympathies to you about Aunt Olga.
I'm excited to hear about another little Puzzuoli girl. Congratulations to Chris and Corinn!
I'll be thinking of you next week. I hope you can adjust to Stella's school schedule. :) I'm sure the transition will be hard on you as well as on Stella. But, so worth it in the end.
I'm sorry to hear about Aunt Olga...
Thanks, Michelle and MB. We're excited about the new baby. I'm going to call Corinn in the morning and see if they've come to a final decision on her name. Joe says she looks like Livi at that age!
Michelle, the teacher sends home progress reports every Friday with suggestions of things to work on. But you gave me a good idea. I think when I take her to school on Monday, I'll take my camera and take some digital pictures of the teachers. That way, we can look at the pictures in the morning when we're getting ready. Stella also has a toy schoolbus and some people figurines that I think I'll use to show her about her busride. Maybe that will help.
As time goes on, hopefully we'll add some private speech and occupational therapy. It's just hard to find around here.
I knew Elizabeth had a PDD-NOS diagnosis too, and I think it's so weird that they both have it. Funny thing, I think they're both really smart in their own ways, too, which makes it all the more mysterious. I guess you can't spend too much time figuring out "why" but at least I am grateful that we can give each other ideas and support through this. It'll be interesting to see how they develop now with the interventions.
Keep letting us know about Elizabeth; I enjoy hearing about her! I hope all is well with everyone.
Taking photos is a great idea! We've found that if Elizabeth knows what to expect, she does much better. So, having a series of photos that describe her routine in the morning, including getting on the bus and doing things at school, might make her less anxious about the whole thing. It's supposed to help, too, if you can post the pictures somehow and let her take each one down as she completes the step. You can search online for PECS (use "Picture Exchange" since pecs brings up some other types of sites!).
OK, so what are you going to do to help with your adjustment? Too bad drugs and alcohol are out for you right now. Just kidding.
Post a Comment