Thursday, December 07, 2006

Stella's getting ear tubes ... and a brother

Eventful week we're having! Today Stella had an appointment with the Ear Nose Throat doctor, and to make a long story short, she's getting ear tubes in January or as soon as we can get them for her. She's had numerous ear infections, and since she's catching colds so frequently (from being at school, I presume), her body just doesn't have the time to heal before she gets another one. Even today, though she wasn't sick, they saw fluid in her ears.

Apparently, it's a pretty simple procedure with a nitrous oxide anesthesia. It only takes about an hour or so between the surgery and the recovery. And if her balance is good, she can go to school the next day!

I really hope that having tubes will keep her from missing so much school. She's really doing well. I have heard a few original word combinations lately. Usually I have to prompt her, but today she said, "More Cheetos" to me with no prompting.

The other day, I thought she said "hi" to me. I said "hi" back, but then she added ... "wuv you." So she loves me! I guess she has "hi" and "I" mixed up, but that's okay ... I get the message. We'll just start saying "hello" instead.

Today she saw Elmo on her bubble bath bottle, and I asked her if she would point to Elmo, and she did!

Everytime things get really bad with Stella, I have to admit that they bounce back and get better again. Of course, after I post this blog entry, she's sure to have a bad night (Murphy's Law) ... but hey, at least I know it will get better...eventually.

And yes, it's a BOY. All boy. John has forbidden me from posting the ultrasound picture of the distinct boy parts. I'm almost 25½ weeks and it's pretty obvious now. I had resisted finding out at my 2nd and 3rd ultrasounds (the first was too early), but just couldn't hold out any longer. I had to have multiple ultrasounds because of a low-lying placenta, but that has corrected itself now. Anyway, at least I know that washing those adorable pink girly baby clothes just won't work. And I'm glad I know!

We are excited about the little boy; keep him in your prayers.

That's about all ...

9 comments:

Michelle said...

How exciting--you're having a boy! Congratulations!

My friend's daughter had ear tubes put in and it wasn't very traumatic at all. And, it worked really well. I hope you have the same experience!

Elizabeth does the same thing---makes progress, then takes several steps back, then makes more progress. It's so frustratingly slow sometimes.

Starting in January, she'll be going to preschool at the ABA school. We're hoping it will help her progress faster. And, we're going to start giving her B12 shots. Have you heard of this? Supposedly, it can make a huge difference. I'll keep you posted...

Anonymous said...

Karmel,

Congrats on your boy! They're fun!

I'm glad Stella is doing well in school. I never get to see her when I am there.

Hayley used to tell me "I moo" instead of I love you, but like you...I would take it in any form especially if it was spontaneous! Now we have a very clear I Love You, which is wonderful too!

Hopefully those tubes will work wonders for her! I had them, but that was many years ago. No trauma from it that I remember=)

We just got our results back from Pfeiffer...now we start all the new stuff!!

And to Michelle...we did B12 shots with our daughter and had big improvements in her speech. I hated actually giving the shot, but I loved the results!

Hope to see you soon!
heather

Karmel said...

Michelle,

Heather who posted above is a great resource for all things biomedical. I'm glad she piped in on your question! Her daughter and Stella are in the same class.

With B12 shots, I have heard a range from different people. Some say that it's one of the best things they've done for their kids -- second only to ABA therapy. Others give them up because they didn't see a change at all. So I guess it really depends on the kid! Good luck with that.

Although I've always fed Stella healthy and given her propbiotics and cod liver oil (from an early age, even before ASD dx), I still haven't jumped into the biomedical therapies and DAN protocol yet. Right now, she's at a point where she's responding well to behavioral therapies like OT, her school -- and I'm looking into speech therapy at WMU in Kalamazoo. But at least I know biomed stuff is always there if I need to make a change. Right now, she just takes Super Nu Thera liquid vitamins, cod liver oil, and liquid zinc. That probably over-answered your question.

GL with the B12 shots!

MB said...

A boy?! Uncle Joe and Aunt Kathy are going to have a grandson? What a great addition to all of the sweet granddaughters. Congratulations!

I really hope Stella improves with her ear tubes. Poor thing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Congratulaions on your boy! Stella's words may be few, but it seems like she is making progress. God bless to all.

Carrie said...

Yay! A boy- I'm so excited for you three. Congrats!

And I'm obviously no parenting expert by any means, but my friends' kid had ear tubes put in this year, and it really helped him out. He gets sick much less frequently and is feeling much better overall. I hope they help Stella as much!

Anonymous said...

Who says the Puzzuoli's can't make boys? Exciting news about the new baber. Congratulations to John and Karmel. Grandma and Grandpa are pretty happy too. I hear grandma allready bought something blue. Hope everyone is getting into the Christmas spirit. I'm thinking of going to buy an artificial tree. Whoopee!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your boy! Looking forward to seeing you during the holidays.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Jill here - very excited to learn about my very FIRST NEPHEW!!
yipee! Congrats Bunz and Karmel!
The eartubes should help a lot.
My niece takes after me with those darn ear infections too!