Friday, May 04, 2007

Michigan cabbage the tasty way

I was watching the Barefoot Contessa one night on Food Network, and she made cabbage in a way that I had never thought of ... and I had to try it.

I remember hearing a few years ago that cruciferous veggies like cabbage and cauliflower and brussel sprouts were especially good for you, cancer preventing or something. Hopefully the butter doesn't negate the healthy effects. (I think I might've used a tad more than 2 tbsps).

Here it is:


Sauteed Cabbage

1 small head white cabbage, including outer green leaves (2 1/2 pounds)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Cut the cabbage in half and, with the cut-side down, slice it as thinly as possible around the core, as though you were making coleslaw. Discard the core.
Melt the butter in a large saute pan or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and begins to brown. Season, to taste, and serve warm.


Even John eats seconds of this without prompting.

When I was a kid, I once was told to eat a serving of boiled cabbage or I couldn't get up from the table. I hated the stuff. It's nice to not have a chip on my shoulder against cabbage anymore ... this way is much better than boiled. And you won't find a cheaper local veggie (in MI at least). Try it!

No comments: