Thursday, July 26, 2007

Aunt Edie is here!

Right now, Aunt Edie is mopping my upstairs bedroom. She says not to feel bad about it, because that's what she came for ... to help me.

Yesterday, she changed all the poopy diapers and gave both kids baths.

She's read stories, sang songs ... and I took a nap.

Have I died and gone to heaven?

I told Aunt Edie that whenever she passes on, I will nominate her for sainthood and probably erect a statue in her honor. She told me none of that was necessary. The best thing I can do to pay her back, she says, is help someone else someday when my life gets less stressful.

She took the Amtrak train to get here. My cousin Jerad dropped her off at the train station in Kansas City, and she road the Amtrak "Southwest Chief" until she got to Chicago, and then she hopped on a commuter train that went through Illinois, Indiana and finally Michigan, bringing her right into Battle Creek.

On the train ride here, she met some Amish folks who were returning from Southeast Kansas where they were helping their son. And their son lives on the same section of land that Aunt Edie and Uncle Jerry used to live. Small world!

Stella has really taken to her and AJ loves her too.

And I am relaxed for the first time in months.

God bless Aunt Edie.

More pictures to come later . . .

4 comments:

Grandpa Addis said...

Daughter,
I knew that once my sister arrived that your load would soften. She is a pretty special aunt and was special to you when you were Stella and AJ's age.

But you are not allowed to keep her. We will eventually need her back in the 'Land of Oz'.

We will send your Uncle Donie next.

Love you bunches,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Karmel, I'm glad that Edie has arrived and is lightening your load she is a wonderful person and God Bless her. I hope her train ride was enjoyable. It sounds like the kids might want to keep her especailly Stella Star, she'll have her by the hand and be outside in a flash. Let me know how the new speech therapy goes, and are you still seeing improvements with the diet? It's been hot here as usual in the 90's ect. Love you loads and God Bless MOM

Anonymous said...

Hurray for Aunt Edie. Can you ask her if she wants to visit Washington Township next? She must be some type of special lady. Maybe she wants to go to the cottage with you , Karmel. I want to meet this lady. Joe Dad

Anonymous said...

Aunt Edie sounds like a real live angel. I am so happy she came to visit! What a blessing for your family!
Jill