So even though we were afraid of going on a big outing, we decided to go to the beach today – the Lake Michigan beach in South Haven, MI. It's about a 1½ hour drive from Battle Creek. I knew Stella would love to go and also wanted Aunt Edie to see the beauty of a Great Lakes beach. I also wanted to go there because I'd never been.
Well ... we don't have many complaints! It went really well. Stella enjoyed the beach and A.J. did okay too. Here are some pictures:

Unfortunately, Stella is not afraid of the water .... at all. This is very distressing to me. But at least she is darn cute.

A.J. is a different story. He tensed up everytime Aunt Edie put his feet in the water. Of course, it was pretty cold!
Yesterday, we visited the Historic Bridge Park between Battle Creek and Marshall. It's a little park alongside the Kalamazoo River where old 1800s and 1900s bridges have been restored and are displayed. Everyone enjoyed that.

And Aunt Edie, who loves a silly picture, insisted I show her throwing mop water out on our street!

I wish Aunt Edie could stay with me forever, but I know she is missed back home! The Amtrak train will whisk her back to Kansas on Thursday morning .... [SIGH]
5 comments:
Karmel,
I bet your Aunt Edie is having a blast. I don't think she has long before she can retire from the postal service. Unfortunately, Uncle Jerry will starve to death if she doesn't come back home soon.
When we visit next year, Crystal will most likely pitch in and help out. I am still trying to put the pieces together from several Labette County, Kansas murders (the Benders) that happened in 1871 and 1872. The trail leads to the old Michigan logging camps.
Can't be much harder than proving to the US Veterans Affairs Department the death on October 4th, 1777 of a private serving under Washington in the Revolutionary War.
But I do want to spend some time with my grandkids before I embark upon my historical pursuits. Crystal will stick around and help you out. She isn't exactly into history. I'll have to get out my info and begin to examine where the trail leads. A Labette County Deputy Sheriff left some info from his 1892 trip inside Michigan. In 1930 he gave an accounting of his adventures to secure the two Bender women that I may be able to use to investigate.
You know me and history.
Love you bunches,
Dad
Wow, what a gem! Are you sure she's leaving on the Amtrak and not by umbrella, carrying a carpet bag? :)
I wish I weren't so far away--I'd love to help out...
I'm glad you're having such a nice time with your aunt. Yay for awesome family!
What beach did you go to in South Haven? Is there more than one? Paul and I and several of our friends are going camping soon in Grand Junction, which is really close to South Haven I hear. I haven't really spent time in this area, hence the questions, but would love to spend a day at Lake Michigan. I was hoping it'd have warmed up a little by now!
I wish I could be there, it looks like every one is having fun. It's beem cloudy and rainy and humid here for the last four days. I know you will miss Aunt Edie when she's gone. Perhaps she can make a yearly visit, that would be great for you and the kids. I'm glad everyone got to go to the lake. Stella looks right at home in the water, :ove Mom
Carrie, we went to North Beach, and I believe it is the largest beach, but there are some other smaller ones. I found a website where South Haven Parks are listed: http://www.southhaven.com/south-haven-mi-parks.shtml
Have fun on your camping trip! The water was warm; it's definitely not as cool as a Leelanau County beach (but not as pretty, in my opinion).
Michelle, it definitely feels like Mary Poppins has come to rescue me ... to bad she doesn't sing like Julie Andrews. But I'll bet she changes more diapers and that makes up for the lack of serenading (though she does sing a lot!).
She is so special. I am quite lucky that she came for such a long visit and helped me out.
Post a Comment