Tuesday, March 04, 2008

How we will miss her

She was a very special lady. She was my surrogate grandma in Michigan. I remember when I first moved to Michigan, I gravitated toward her at family gatherings. She and I always had things to talk about. She told me how she missed Albert. I told her how I missed home. She's always been one of my favorite people. It's been hard, the last few years, to see her go downhill from both health problems and the perpetual sadness of missing her dear Albert who died in 2001.

Photobucket

No one could cook like her. The woman was dedicated to making good pasta, sauce, crispelle. And I've heard so many stories from the past about the great meals she made, about how she could haggle with the people at the fruit market for the most spotty rotting tomatoes ... and make the most terrific sauce you ever tasted, in a dented pan she picked up at a garage sale for 25¢.

Photobucket

She had stopped cooking a lot in the past few years. Luckily she passed so many of these skills on to Joe-Dad and Aunt Joanne. But she was the master! The matriarch. And there's no replacing her.

And there was not a more loving grandmother, according to her 5 grandchildren. John remembers spending so much time with her. Jill remembers "birdie kisses" and just how wonderful and loving she was.

My deep hope now is that she will look down on, watch out for and help our poor girl Stella Caterina.

Photobucket

Rest in Peace, Caterina. You will be missed forever.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Karmel. You couldn't have said it better. A wonderul tribute to a wonderful woman!

Anonymous said...

Our deepest sympathy to you and your family at this time. Take care.
Love Laura Millard & family

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry. My love to you all.

Carrie said...

Paul and I are so sorry. We'll be thinking about you all.

Ladybugs (Teri) said...

Karmel,
You have such a beautiful way with words. I'm so sorry and want you to know that you're in our thoughts and prayers. Take care.
Love, Teri and family

MB said...

I'm very sorry for this huge loss. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Karmel said...

Thank you so much, everyone. Some of you knew Grandma much longer than I have, so you know exactly how great she was.

For Grandma's memorial contributions, they chose Autism Speaks ... and I have felt so touched by that all day. Thank you Joe, Aunt Joanne, for thinking of Autism Speaks and autism research. It really touches my heart so very very much.