Saturday, December 13, 2008

I had bigger blog plans

I have been cooking a lot lately, taking a few pictures of my "creations" (inspired by the food blog The Pioneer Woman Cooks), and sharing via the blog ... but the SD memory chip on my camera went wonky.

So I can't share my pictures of the Shirk Cranberry Salad (sugar-free style), black bean soup, and black rice curried meatloaf ... all of which were enhanced greatly by that heckuva food processor my father-in-law bought for me ...

However, I did learn something from this experience. The memory you can buy for digital cameras has gotten way cheaper. Last year, when I bought our Panasonic digital camera, I purchased a 1 GB chip for $20, and it was marked down from $43 at the time. Yesterday, I purchased a 8-gig chip for $27.99 ... crazy.

The guy at Best Buy also mentioned that I could reformat my old chip, so I put it in the slot of my work laptop and hit "reformat" and it worked. Now I have 9 GB of space for fun Puzzuoli family pictures and cooking adventure pics. Watch out!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I haven't made the cranberry salad totally sugar free yet. I've made it with the Splenda sugar blend, so it's less calories. Do you like it sugar free? I'm interested in making it guilt-free.

I can't wait to see pictures of your food. That meatloaf sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Carrie, I would not make it sugar-free for guests, but it was great for me. I ate the whole batch (over a week). If you follow a Weight-Watcher's style eating plan where you require yourself to eat certain amounts of fruits/veggies, then the Shirk cranberry salad sugar free is a good way to eat lots of fruit. I'm actually thinking of looking into other types of jello salad to see if there are some other concoctions I can come up with.

The meatloaf is great, and brown rice is great in meatloaf! I even ground my rice grains in my blender before cooking. Made it superb! One time I used cherry chutney from The Cherry Republic on the top instead of mango chutney. It's great because you can use whatever sweet-spicy concoction you can come up with. And A.J. loved it which was a big plus!

MB said...

Steve has a recipe for "cranberry relish" which is almost like the Shirk cranberry salad, but without the jello. It's awesome! I've been wanting to drop the jello from the cranberry salad for years, but wasn't sure how it would work out and if it required changing the recipe. Well, you don't have to change anything - just leave out the jello and it tastes great!

The secret ingredient in the cranberry relish is cinnamon. It really adds a nice taste to the salad. However, I did not try it without sugar. We did find that the cranberries at Trader Joe's were far less tart than the Ocean Spray cranberries and required far less sugar.

Anonymous said...

MB, that's interesting, but I'm sure you're right. Do you cook the cranberries at all? How wonderful you're marrying a guy who has a recipe for "cranberry relish!" That's great.