Thursday, November 02, 2006

Parent teacher conference

Today, we had Stella's first parent-teacher conference. Boy howdy, I thought it'd be awhile before we'd have to experience that. Stella's teacher, who is very dedicated and thorough, went through Stella's list of "ables" (what she is able to do), and she's not doing nearly as much at school as she is doing at home.

In fact, while we were there, she heard Stella say far more words in that one hour conference than she had heard the whole month that Stella has been going to school. It's because John and I were there!

She believes that Stella will do better in time, and that Stella will learn to generalize words between the school and home environment, and between her parents and others. And then she thinks her language will really explode. I hope so. But then, I feel like I've been waiting for a language explosion for a long time.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that she's still 2, and some 2-year-olds might find it hard to talk to people at school.

I am impressed by what they do in the class. They have such a complex data collecting system where they chart her progress in the smallest increments, like labeling pictures, asking for things, following directions, etc. It has to benefit her at some point!

Also, if we can get insurance to cover it, she'll start occupational therapy next week, which will help with her sensory integration issues. So she'll get out of school early on Thursdays.

2 comments:

MB said...

Thanks for posting this update. I like hearing how Stella is doing.

It sounds like she has a wonderful teacher. I imagine that Stella enjoys herself even if she is not yet speaking much.

How did the doctor appointments go?

Karmel said...

MB,

The appointments went fine. What a whirlwind! I got the referral for her OT (with insurance coverage) with her pediatrician's blessing. And she has no more ear infection right now...she had one and we were treating it with antibiotics. I really like all the pediatricians at the office we go to.

Stella is doing a lot more nonsensical babbling and shrieking. At the same time, we're hearing more words at home. So just when I get annoyed at all her weirdness, out comes something that's new and unexpected. So she's just keeping us guessing right now.

I hope you have a good weekend, MB.

Karmel